Thursday, April 4, 2013

"If you want to eat a soybean, eat a soybean".

Well, I'm on track. 

I finished all of my doctors' appointments for the week and they all gave me glowing reviews.  First was the reconstruction surgeon's nurse that gave me a filling of 50 cc's on each side and told me that I already have good 'projection'.  I'm going to take that as a positive thing....I mean, who wouldn't want good projection.  Next was the breast surgeon and he took his first look at me since my surgery and said, "Wow, they look fabulous!"  I told him that he sounded surprised and he reminded me that it is a very complicated surgery (everyone needs validation).  And lastly, the oncologist today.  He is a really nice guy that listens really well, which means he doesn't say too much, which means I end up talking a whole lot.  Anyway, he said that everything with my pathology report looked good and that there isn't a need for any treatment at this point.  

Next month I'll be meeting with my gynecologist to discuss whether I need to just have my ovaries out or go for the full hysterectomy.  Awesome.  I'm really not looking forward to going through forced menopause, but surely something positive can come out of this.  I should make a list of situations where a slightly more elevated emotional volatility might come in handy (sappy movies, Real Wives of NWA try-outs, kindergarten graduation) and save them for my menopause.  If anyone wants to contract me out for some royal throw-downs, just let me know.  I now have something new to focus on since the breast cancer issue is put to bed for a while.  Without my normal estrogen production, I'll be at risk for some other health issues.  I've been advised to increase my exercise and start weight training to help with bone density.  When talking about estrogen and how it is bad for my cancer risk, I told the doctor that I've been trying to avoid things that would act as an estrogen replicator (parabens, etc.).  He said, "If you want to eat some soybeans, eat some soybeans".  Whew.  I've really missed soybeans.

I went back to work a week early this week, but just for half days.  It's been good to be back and my stamina is improving.  I'm pretty tired in the evenings, but that's to be expected.

Again, things are on track and that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment