Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"They're sisters, not twins."

Today was a pump-up day.  Every two weeks I go to the reconstruction surgeon's office to have my expander implants filled a little more.  The nurse looked at me and said, "You want to go bigger?"  I kind of thought that was the point.  Last week, we filled each side with 50 cc's.  This week we went 75.  Combine that with the previous fillings and I'm almost to the size of a small Honda motorbike (in regards to volume and engine displacement, etc.).  Probably not the best of comparisons, but it's what comes to mind.  I had some questions for the nurse about how things looked and felt and she said it was all normal.  She looked at me and said, "You're riding a little lower on the left.  Remember, they are sisters, not twins." Good reminder.

On the way out of the office, I noticed something new at the check-out counter.  A stack of small envelopes with a pretty font saying, "Gratuity".  Interesting.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  "Thank you kind nurse for helping restore me to some semblance of how I used to look before I was diagnosed with cancer and had my chest 'melon-balled' out.  Here's an extra $20."  I have to remind myself that there are many other elective procedures that take place at the office and it's not just mastectomy patients.  I do think they try and schedule us at different times.  I mean, why would a microdermabrasion or Botox patient want to mix it up with us mastectomy patients?  Speaking for myself, I haven't spent much time on my personal appearance over the last six weeks, but have finally graduated to washing my hair every other day.  I am probably not a good representation of some the doctor's finer work and therefore not a good advertisement.  Don't get me wrong, my doctor is doing good work.  It's just that most folks (sorry) aren't going to see them.

Next week, Harley size.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment