Sunday, May 5, 2013

Fairy Fingers


Since I've been back at work and logging lots of hours behind the desk, I've started to get tense and tight like I used to.  I was getting ready to call my usual therapist when I remembered that I could book a massage through Highlands Oncology for $35/hour.  You can't beat that price and since I'm officially a patient at HOG, why not.  I showed up at the office which was decorated with very relaxing, typical Asian-inspired decor.  The nurse/therapist was very nice and had a calming manner about her.  I got undressed and propped up on the table so nothing was uncomfortable and started to relax in anticipation of a good deep tissue massage.  After a couple of minutes of fairy fingers, I told her that I wasn't sensitive and she could use more pressure.  And this is where the relaxation ended.  She began to inform me that due to the fact that I've had a couple of lymph nodes removed, I am in a risk category for lymph edema.  One of the things that is on the no-no list is deep-tissue massage.  There are a lot of other things on the no-no list.  Here's a sample:
-mani/pedis
-long flights
-heavy lifting
-strenuous exercise
-bug bites

Needless to say, I was not relaxed when leaving the massage.  The nurse sent me with a large stack of pamphlets and tasked me with getting compression garments for my arms in anticipation of an upcoming trip to D.C.  I started to call the list of medical supply businesses to find out if they had compression garments and if they would even fit me (I have the wingspan of a condor).  I asked one of the gals what the garments were made of and she said they were simple, Spandex sleeves.  I said, "so, kind of like Spanx for your arms?"  "Yes, very similar."  Well, then I definitely don't have a risk of developing lymph edema in my ass.

The whole thing struck me as very funny and I know that I'm not at great risk for lymph edema.  I haven't had any symptoms, I don't smoke, didn't have chemo and am not over-weight.  Even though the price is tempting to go back to HOG, I don't think I'll be going back to the sweet, informative nurse with fairy fingers.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah - boo to fairy fingers! I like my massages deep. If I can't feel it (and even a little pain/discomfort) then it doesn't work for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my lymph nodes have been removed too, and I've had several massages, I like them deep too, and I get mani/pedi's all the time! My mom tried to tell me that I could never shave or get a manicure because of my nodes being removed on my right side, and I looked at my doctor and was not happy. My doctor said that has long as I'm careful and don't cut myself, I should be just fine. Five years later, and still here! So, I say go get that deep tissue massage because there are "risks" for everything out there!

    BTW, love your blog! Wish I would have done something like this when I was going through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries. Doc said my risk is low and to go for it! I need to watch out for nicks and scrapes when doing yard/brush work, but not to freak out.

    ReplyDelete