Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Got To Vs. Get To



Lately I have been assessing my capacity for crap...more specifically, negativity.  

I've come to the conclusion that my capacity and therefore tolerance for crap is low.  Maybe with the recent health issue, some things have been put into perspective and I'm just maturing (eek).  

I'm working on a theory (please don't expect anything groundbreaking): there are two types of people, "Get To" people and "Got To" people.  I wish I could come up with something more catching than that (you know, like "leaning in"), but along with my waning capacity for crap is also my waning capacity for creative thought (which, I'm told will get worse as I cut off all the estrogen in my body with one fell swoop...more on that later).  The last few weeks I've been highly sensitive to complainers and whiners - at work, on Facebook (always a favorite place to vent), in some of my social circles, etc.  I understand that there are people that don't have good sounding boards at home and that sometimes if you don't vent, the consequences could be dangerous, but seriously folks, at what point to do you suck it up and just move on to something positive.  Are you continually going about your day saying, "I've got to do this and I've got to that" or are you saying, "I get to this and I get to that"?  

When you are on the receiving end of the "got-tos", you begin to believe that you are a burden on that person.  If my child is always hearing me express my frustration about the things I've got to do for her, at what point does she stop asking me things...important things.  At what point do I stop asking grumpy coworkers for help, if all I ever hear from them are complaints about all the other things that they have to do for other people?

So, I get to.
I get to spend time with my sweet husband and funny child.
I get to go to the office.  
I get to go there under my own accord and not be in debilitating pain.  
I get to volunteer for my community.  
I get to do this with women that I really like and enjoy.

I am lucky.  I have a lot of "get-tos".  There have been a couple of "got-tos" in the last few months, but those things have turned into "get-tos" and hopefully, they will provide me with even more "get-tos".

Don't stress, I'll still listen to you bitch and moan, but I'd love if you would conclude your vent session with something positive and a way you are going to change the "got-to" into a "get-to". 

Health Update:
I went and saw my fabulous gynecologist yesterday.  It is confirmed.  I'm getting gutted.  It's all coming out this summer.  The ovaries (the Naomies), the tubes, and the uterus.  No reason to keep the uterus if I don't have the ovaries and the Tamoxifen (scheduled to start in December) does a number on the uterus that requires some extra "maintenance".  This procedure will be scheduled with the implant exchange, so I should only need to go under one more time.  The bright spot in all of this is that she's going to start me on a slight dose of "happy pills".  This will allow us to watch for any side effects and then help transition me into an estrogen-free life (one filled with a tenor voice and frequent chin-waxing).  I am happy (no assumptions, I'm not on the drugs yet) about this.  Why make it more difficult?  Do I really need to experience the extremes of the mood swings to fully appreciate them?  I say, no and I think those around me would agree.

1 comment: