Sunday, May 5, 2013

To Pink or Not to Pink?


Last weekend was our area's Komen Race For the Cure.  I have been involved in the past as a team leader and participant and wanted to participate this year.  Walter said that he wanted to join me, so we made it a family affair with Scout lounging in the stroller while we walked the 5k.  I had planned on trying to meet up with a couple of survivors that had been so helpful throughout the last couple of months, keeping in contact with me and sharing their personal stories.  As soon as I entered the survivors' area, I was very overwhelmed.  There were so many people and there was so much pink.  The breakfast line was half a mile long and the coffee was at the end of it (note to any event planners: easily accessible coffee makes everyone VERY happy).  By the time I got some breakfast and coffee, all I wanted to do was sit and drink my coffee.  They called for the survivor photo and parade and I just couldn't do it.  I felt very much on display.  To be honest, I am very conflicted about the whole thing.  I like that Komen contributes to local programs, programs from which I have benefitted.  I like that they provide gap funding for some screening programs for women that can't afford screening.  But the event is so commercialized and there are so many vendors pushing their products and so many people jockeying to get product.  I will probably not put a lot of support behind the group.  I know there is a lot of debate about the organization and I am aware why people don't support it anymore.  I, personally will probably through my weight behind a different group.   I'd love for there to be a cure or at least a very clearly defined path to prevention in the next 20 years before Scout starts dealing with the issue.  It's difficult to outsmart your genes, but why not?  I'm glad I participated in the race although it brought up a lot of conflicting feelings.  A big thanks to my Junior League sisters that hosted a FABULOUS brunch at a local hotel after the race.  It was great and so relaxing and fun.  I really love hanging out with those ladies!

I'm excited to start volunteering for a program that matches survivors with recently diagnosed survivors.  This will be coordinated through the local breast center.  I've benefitted tremendously from being able to talk with other women who had recently gone through their experiences.  Hopefully I can help other women through my own experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment