Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Good job EBJ, good job.

My lead doctor, Dr. Cross called yesterday evening while we were on our way home from soccer (yeah!  I made it through 40 minutes of watching Scout's soccer practice/game!).  My pathology results came back.  

Whoa.
Eek.
Scary.
Whew.

They found cancer on the left side (I was diagnosed for cancer on the right) and another invasive cancer on the right.  Thankfully, everything they found was still very small and the margins of the surgery are good.  Dr. Cross said that if we had waited a year, the treatment regime would have much different.  He is still going to have me visit with an oncologist and then we will work with my gynecologist to determine the best time to have my ovaries removed.  But, no chemo and no radiation!

The pathology report affirmed my aggressive and dedicated screening the last eight years.  At times it would have been very easy to skip a test or just push it off until later.  Many times I had to explain myself over and over as to why someone in their mid-twenties wanted to have a mammogram or MRI.  All of the medical professionals have been great, but no one can advocate for your health like you.  How easy it would have been to use the funds spent on these tests to go skiing for a week or fly to Paris.  But I stuck with it.  I kept going and I kept advocating for my long-term health.  

So, pat on the back.  Good job EBJ.  You pulled them on and you pushed forward.  

Funny conversation with Scout:
Scout came home for the first time since my surgery and she had a lot of questions (not as many as i expected) about the surgery and my drains, etc.  When I told her that I was going to  the doctor today and that he would remove some of my drains, she asked if it would hurt.  I told her it probably would, but for her not to worry.  She said, "well Mommy I don't think it'll hurt more than that time I had that splinter."  I hope she is correct.  I hope the pain of them yanking 5-6 inches of surgical tubing out from under my skin is comparable to a splinter.

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the tube removal. I hope it isn't too painful. From personal experience, it doesn't really hurt. It's more like awkward, uncomfortable pressure (although when I was having drains removed it was nearly 15 years ago for a breast reduction). Regardless, I don't remember it being painful.

    And yay for the pathology report and the treatment regimen! And very good for you for advocating for yourself and your health. Obviously it was necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You are more than welcome and I saw that the drain removal went well. Good deal!

      Delete
  3. Yeah!!! So glad you received good path reports and don't have to do chemo or radiation. And I hope the drain removal is comparable to a splinter! I can only imagine the questions she will come up with during your recovery process:) It was soo good to see you last night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear the good report! So, so thrilled you don't have to do additional treatments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eileen! Thank you for sharing your news with us all. It is great to hear that you don't have to do chemo or radiation! I've been thinking of you, and sending positive thoughts your way. :)

    ReplyDelete