Thursday, March 14, 2013

Not as bad as a splinter

The visit with the reconstruction surgeon's nurse went well yesterday.  I had the two larger drains removed.  Scout was right, it hurt less than when she had that epic splinter.  It kind of felt like a scene from a sci-fi show.  I could see the tubing under my skin moving as the nurse pulled it out from the side.  Weird, very weird.  The last two drains should come out next week and then the fillings should start in a couple of weeks after that.  The nurse thought that everything looked really good and I was healing nicely.  She gave me clearance for an increased range of motion, so I'm excited to start some gentle stretching.  Hopefully I get clearance next week to lift more than ten pounds so I can get up in the sewing loft (I'm starting to go a bit stir crazy). All in all, it's going well.  I asked her to take another set of photos of me for the file.  When Walter and I had the initial consultation, Dr. Stacey only had before and after photos, but no in-process photos.  It would have definitely helped me to see how things might have looked right after the mastectomies and throughout the process.  In the car ride home, I asked Walter if it was weird that I volunteered to be photographed. He said, "well, you've always been an exhibitionist".  Yup, that's how most describe me....flashy.  Ha!

I'm still a little freaked out from the pathology report.  It makes me so nervous for other women that are in a high-risk category like me.  It makes me even more nervous for women that aren't watching out for the risk.  I don't want to be in fear of it, but at the same time, the consequences are so severe for young women and their families.  So many advances have been made in the twenty years I have been dealing with the topic of breast cancer.  I'm ready for the next twenty years and to see this disease and many others eradicated, either through a cure or a clear and exact path to prevention.

Funny thing from yesterday:
I received a refund from the surgery center.  They said that the estimate I paid earlier was based on a full C cup size and since I was a "nearly B", a refund was due.




I did receive a refund due to overpayment , but no reason was given.  That would have been hilarious!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen,

      I am so sorry for not reaching out before now. I didn't realize until today that you had been facing this diagnosis. I've now read through all of your blog posts, and I must say, I am so inspired by your upbeat approach and go get 'em attitude! Of course, knowing you, that doesn't surprise me at all :). I am so glad the surgery went well and may you have a speedy recovery! You, Walter & Scout are in my prayers.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad the tube removal wasn't painful. It is weird though - from what I remember.

    I think it's awesome that you volunteered to take some "in process" pictures. I think other women will really appreciate it. What I think it says about you is that you are kind and thoughtful. It shows that you care about others. In theory, I would say it shows that you are brave, but I doubt you were even thinking that when you offered to take these pictures. I imagine it just felt right and easy. You are brave though and strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen,

    Thank you so much for sharing. I have tears in my eyes as I read your blog and write this. Do you get tired of hearing how strong and amazing you are? I hope not. Because you are.

    Your mother changed my life and showed me that a strong woman can still be sweet and funny. You so follow in her footsteps. We need you to stick around. No one else can bring your Eileen-ness!

    I haven't been in touch since we moved to Arizona but I do think of all of us from the old days and how well we have turned out. I am so proud of you and inspired by you.

    Thank you for sharing this tough time in your life. It is an inspiration. You will triumph. You will be better than ever. You are wonderful and I am so glad that you are making it and with such panache. Your mama would be proud.

    Cara

    ReplyDelete