Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Well played.

Well, I played it.  I was withholding it for something good, but the week before my double mastectomy, I played it.  There were many times that I was tempted to play it, but didn't.

Don't worry, I didn't bilk people out of funds or get an undeserved dinner reservation to some swanky restaurant.

I auditioned for a local essay show about motherhood.  The show is called Listen to Your Mother Listen To Your Mother - Northwest Arkansas and it appears across the country at various locations.  I submitted an essay last year and auditioned, but was not selected.  I refined my submission for this year and was able to draw on some recent happenings to sincerely express some of my thoughts about motherhood.

When I told my husband that I had been selected, he said, "you played the cancer card, didn't you?"  I didn't 'play' it, but I did write about it.  How can I not?  For the last twenty-plus years, cancer has been a big part of my life.  How can I write about motherhood and my relationship with my mother and cancer not be an element?  Of course, there is so much more to my past and current relationships than the battles with cancer, but it has been something that has defined me and helped shape my priorities and outlook on life.  

So, check out the show if you are not familiar with it.  It was a fabulous show last year that had the audience laughing, crying and sighing in recognition.  If you are interested, buy your tickets soon, as the show will sell out.

Thanks to all who have been following me the last couple of months.  Keeping this blog has been very therapeutic and saved me the money I would have spent on professional counseling.  I think I will use the funds to get a tattoo (aside from the pair of nipple tattoos I'm scheduled to receive later this year) and a motorcycle.

vroom.
vroom.



2 comments:

  1. I already bought my tickets and I was excited that you are a member of the "cast". I can't wait to see the show!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear all the stories. I didn't even get to see the show last year -- I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete