Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Meet me at the hot tub.

Today was a good day.  

Today the nurse removed the last of my drains!  This set was the smaller of the two and they came out nice and easy.  I also received clearance to drive....woot, woot!  The nurse still wants me to take it easy and not lift anything over 20 pounds (there goes my Cross Fit PR) and be careful doing anything too strenuous.  I'm supposed to be doing the "spider-up-the-wall" exercises.  You stand arm's length away from the wall and walk your fingers up the wall as far as they will go (I'm going to turn it into a new work-out craze that involves special see-through pants and fasting...there's a pop culture reference in there somewhere).  I still have some work to do, as I can only get my arms up about sixty percent of the way.  I'm not very effective at calling the Hogs right now.

The reconstructive (plastic) surgeon's waiting room was full of mastectomy patients today.  We are pretty easy to spot.  Hair isn't the cleanest.  Clothes are loose and usually button in the front.  Clear, plastic bulbs are sticking out from under our clothing.  We are accompanied by a chauffeur.  Once we got back into the exam room with the nurse, I mentioned that it was all mastectomy patients today.  The nurse didn't really have a reason, just said that's how it worked out.  I joked that all the other patients were off on Spring Break showing off the surgeon's handiwork at the beach and ski slope hot tubs.  I don't think she thought is was as funny as I did.

Now, off to find the closest wall and do my best brown recluse impression....itsy bitsy spider....


1 comment:

  1. I thought your joke was funny ;-) Your sense of humor is impeccable and the way you are handling this huge life event is yet another reason I admire you so much. You are such an amazing and beautiful person. Much love my friend!

    ReplyDelete