Saturday, March 23, 2013

The list...well, at least one of them.

I'm a list person.  I make lists all of the time.  I don't strictly adhere to them, but I do find that by the very act of making them, I feel a bit more organized and maybe even motivated.  So, of course, I've made a list over the last few weeks.  Below are some of the things that I found helpful throughout the recovery.

  1. Hibiclens Soap.  Infection can be a risk.  Start washing with the Hibiclens a week before surgery so you don't introduce any bacteria into the surgery theatre.  You will be disinfected, but they don't wash your whole body before surgery.  I also washed the clothes I would be going home in and packed them in a ziplock bag.  That might have been a bit over-kill, but why not.
  2. Sleeping mask.  Throw one in your hospital bag.  The nurses will be coming in the room a lot throughout the night and they always seem to leave a light on.  
  3. Pro-biotic.  You'll be put on a stiff anti-biotic, so taking a pro-biotic can help with any stomach issues you might have.
  4. Stool softeners.  The pain meds and anti-biotics can do a number on the ole bowels, so be prepared.
  5. Anti-anxiety meds.  I didn't have these, but wish I had.  There were many times that I wasn't in pain, but just couldn't get comfortable.  It would have been nice to just be a bit more relaxed.
  6. Wet wipes.  You don't really feel like showering for a while, but you will want to freshen up.
  7. Disposable tooth brushes.  Having some of those little single-use brushes would be very nice to have close at hand.
  8. Binder clips.  Use them to keep your phone/iPad/Kindle/iPod chargers attached to your bed sheets.
  9. Large safety pins.  I found that it was more comfortable to pin the drains to something around my waist rather than wear them in the fancy little neck pouches someone gave me.
  10. Flexible straws.  
  11. Front closure sports bra.  Hanes makes one that I found at Walmart.  They will send you home with extra dressings and ace bandages.  The ace bandage is fairly comfortable, but does get hot and annoying after a while.
  12. Soft, front closure shirts.  Shirts that are soft cotton and slightly stretchy seem to work the best.
I'm sure there are many more things that might be useful, but this list is a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment